AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on Corn liquid or dry N
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

deereman
Posted 7/27/2009 11:48 (#790026)
Subject: Corn on Corn liquid or dry N

NE SD
Have been doing some corn on corn for about 4 yrs now and getting along ok with it. One thing I have had a problem with is tie up of N and getting yellow corn for a few weeks. It has always come out of it and been ok but sure looks like heck for a while. It happens in lower areas mostly. This year I used all dry urea before planting for the first time and did NOT have any yellowing at all. All other years I used 28% after planting. The only other difference is this year we were not extremely wet for a few weeks in June like we have been in the past couple years.
Just wondering does the dry urea "fall through" last years corn residue better vs spraying on top of it with the 28% and get into the soil better faster? I am just thinking the 28 lands on top of the last yrs stalks and does not get available to the plant until last yrs stalks breaks down. Does this make sense at all. This is in NE SD conventional till. I like the liquid program a little better but this year the price was so much difference that I decided to go with dry.Kind of looking at going continous corn on lots of land and want to learn all I can. Sideressing is another question I will have later.
Thanks for any opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)