AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean disease questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 7/22/2009 19:28 (#784457)
Subject: Soybean disease questions

Burlington, IA
Just had a call from one of my clients near Ottumwa about some of his soybeans that he and his elevator rep looked at today. Of course, we have had excessively wet weather, so I'm not totally surprised at his findings. He has a bunch of beans at V2 stage and he's finding what looks to be Septoria, possibly some Frogeye, on the leaves, and is bad enough that some leaves are showing some cupping. Appears to be present more on his no-till ground than his tilled ground, and is in both treated and untreated beans. He also has a bunch of beans at about R1 that he is going to go back out and look at this evening, will know if they are showing any sign of disease soon.

He is inclined to spray them with fungicide since they need a dose of Rup anyway. I suggested he might want to use a combination preventative/curative instead of a preventative, since disease is already present, although I wish his acres of V2 beans were farther along.

Can he wait awhile on the younger beans, or should he nip the disease in the bud now? What fungicides are best on septoria or frogeye, or are they all equally effective? Go with a preventative/curative as I suggested? What rate?

My background is probably a little stronger in corn, so I'm looking for some confirmation or correction of my own thoughts, so I'm sure I'm steering him right.

Thanks in advance,
JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)