AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Aftermarket Auger Failure - What Would You Do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lone Cedar
Posted 2/19/2021 10:51 (#8844407)
Subject: New Aftermarket Auger Failure - What Would You Do?

SW Iowa
Have a JD 9510 combine, that I put a floor liner kit in the grain tank during the offseason last year... tank augers were getting worn enough I decided to replace them at the same time. Augers came from an aftermarket source that for right now I'll leave nameless but was a brand I've used in the past with OK results (and is not Shoup or A&I).

Partway through harvest (<600A, that was about 2/3 soybeans) the front auger stopped turning, because the weld where the stub shaft on the drive end was welded into the tube sheared and completely failed. I ground out the crack with a grinder and welded it back together hanging upside down; also drilled a couple holes farther back in an attempt to plug weld for additional reinforcement.

Auger was installed tight against the bearing in the RH side of the tank, and prying on things after the weld failed there was no apparent play anywhere that led me to believe the auger was pulling on the driven end. So I don't think I screwed up anything on the install, but not completely ruling out that possibility.

My fix held for the rest of the season (<100 A). I think the stub shaft is still relatively true to the rest of the auger, but it's not perfect (you can see the grain tank side panel wiggle when running, but no abnormal vibration).

I emailed photos to the vendor last fall to see if they would do anything but did not receive any response back. I just followed up with a call and they found my email and are supposed to be getting back to me.

Two questions:
1) What (if anything) would you expect vendor to do to make this right?
2) What do you do going forward to avoid in-season downtime in the future? Run it and hang onto the old ones I pulled out just in case? Buy new from a different source? New from same source if they offer?

Edited by Lone Cedar 2/19/2021 11:10

(9510 Floor Auger Fail 1 (full).jpg)

(9510 Floor Auger Fail 2 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9510 Floor Auger Fail 1 (full).jpg (115KB - 23 downloads)
Attachments 9510 Floor Auger Fail 2 (full).jpg (103KB - 19 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)