AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New business venture growing silage: questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 4/21/2009 20:52 (#688677)
Subject: New business venture growing silage: questions.

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
The dairy industry is growing great guns in our part of the world. As a result our (area) crop mixture is shifting more toward forages and away from cotton and grains. I have been growing wheat and milo, but am thinking about growing some forage sorghum for silage this summer. I have a couple of options:

1)Plant it, see how it turns out, then try to find a dairy or two that will buy it in the field. Harvest and deliver direct to the dairy. And hope I get paid in a timely manner. I say that because the transplant dairy owners do not have the same traditional views as our local folks concerning paying bills promptly. This seems to be an easier option if everything works right. Once it is harvested it is done.

2)Plant it and harvest it and store it in silage bags. Then sell it out a load at a time to possibly lots of different customers over several months. With the possibility of getting a little better price as I can "shop around" for different customers. Also I have a truck and hauling it myself would seem to be like paying myself for the freight.

I don't know if I should have posted this in the machinery, crops, or here. Seems to be several topics, but mostly as a business decision more than anything. Anybody else doing option 2?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)