AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you plan to move away when you retire?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 4/11/2009 08:25 (#676707)
Subject: Do you plan to move away when you retire?

Iowa

It seems a lot of folks end up in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Branson, or anywhere south of here when they retire.  Some folks will stay on the farm for as long as they can. 

I'm a long ways from retirement and can't see myself going south in any case.  As much as I don't like the cold, I'm still inclined to go north and or west to the mountains if anywhere.  We will want to live in a different house at some point.  Some build a new house on the farm and plan to retire there.  Some do the same in a nearby town.  We will probably stay in the area.  My wife has lots of family in the area, and I can't imagine her wanting to be far away.  I would have to admit I'd also miss some friends and family.  One seems to get a lot of connections in the local area over time.  On the other hand, a lot of things can change in twenty or thirty years.  People have had more choices during the last few decades than ever before.

It's just one of the things I've had time to think about....  I'm finally getting a little seat time out in the field.  I grew up thinking about this occupation being a tractor driving job.  As it has turned out, the hours on the tractor seem to be just a small part of it. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)