AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for some advice in the cattle business.?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RieFarm
Posted 4/24/2019 11:02 (#7456565)
Subject: Looking for some advice in the cattle business.?

SE Nebraska
Am looking for some ideas/suggestions for getting into the cattle business. I’m 25 I just got done with my first group of calves that I nickel and dimed from a couple sale barns and backgrounded for 45ish days in August/sept. Sent them to a feed yard in south Central Nebraska. When I bought the calve I thought I had a projected breakeven around $114-$116. Had a goal of $50-$100. Price hit a plateau around 123 so I figured to hedge and take that margin and move forward. Obviously the winter was just nasty ended up with just short of a $150/hd loss. So now I’m out over 10k. I have most the equipment to raise cattle but trying to find a system that makes sense for me. Work full time for some big farmers. they have some old lots when they used to raise cattle. 6 pens About 800ft of bunk space total. My dad also has a yard that could be re worked with some decent lots and a 100ft x 160ft free stall barn from our dairy. They are willing to help me out if I need it but not free money. Just trying to find a system. I don’t have generational money to help me out a little if I need it. What are some thoughts? Thanks in advance for the ideas!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)