AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rtk via UHF vs Cellular
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

disker
Posted 2/12/2009 10:06 (#606057)
Subject: Rtk via UHF vs Cellular

Alberta
Hi,
I have been looking into getting a reference station setup in our county and broadcasting signal for a 30-40 mile radius so that a handful of guys can try some rtk to replace buying dgps signal. I would like to see under 6" accuracy and mostly repeatability from year to year. I have talked to a handful of people about it and there are kinda two ways of doing it and I wanted some opinions. The whole goal off the start was to get good accuracy, repeatability and reduce or eliminate subscriptions.
Both options include putting a reference station (base station)up at the county office which is fairly central and has acces to the internet full time. The difference is in the way to get it out to the farmers.
Option 1 is to set it up on a mini CORS system and have a connection into a website, this requires someone making sure the website is working and that all technical on that end is OK as well as a modem connection in the tractor that has to hook up to whatever receiver and have a program running in the tractor taking the data from the phone/modem to the rec.
Option 2 is to set it up using UHF radios and repeaters as the county has towers every 20 miles broadcasting wireless internet so we could use the tower infastructure for repeaters and then each farmer would buy a UHF radio and tie in to the system with no need for a program running in the tractor.
My thoughts on the Plus/minus of each system
Cors type
+ good coverage, only one ref station and therfore less setup, can be tied to other future ref stations, maybe way of future for rtk
-going to require more ongoing tech work therfore probably subscription, data plan with cell company, getting equip to work together, program running in cab all the time
UHF type
+all equip should work with it, no running programs in cab or internet setup, no subscription, coverage??
-coverage??, repeaters?, initial cost is higher because of repeaters, is it old technology???
Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Curt
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)