AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Donkey13
Posted 11/22/2018 20:13 (#7121927)
Subject: Feeder question

ND
Dad and I calve around 160 April 10th. Typically wean nov 1 and feed til end of Jan. We have two lots close to same size with feed bunk. We have a truck w/scale and 4 auger old harsh. We started using a nutritionist last year and had great gains. Of course we lost a couple last year and a couple this year now. Start out bunk breaking at 9lbs per day. Been pushing them up to 18 after couple weeks trying to get to 22 lbs.. Ration consists of corn silage, corn screenings, ground hay mix( alfalfa,forage barley, and prairie hay) along with 38% protein/ rumensin. Added couple hundred lbs of beet pulp to moisten load. Calves had one round of preweaning shots. Bulls were banded. Calves had been on corn screenings in creep feeder all summer. As mentioned lost second one today. We haven’t split calves up in past. Heifers running with steers. Never had issue with bred heifers either YET. This is just a starter ration and suppose to move them to grower ration soon which includes half corn screenings and half wheat screenings. That’s where I’m gonna get nervous transitioning them. I’m going to separate heifers from steers this weekend. Biggest question for u all is can I add something to prevent bloat? Heard guy talk about feeding baking soda once. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)