AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric Clock "settling in"??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/2/2018 10:01 (#6964823)
Subject: Electric Clock "settling in"??

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
When I moved back to the home place after the folks had passed, I had the kitchen remodeled. For years there had been an electric clock above the sink which I replaced with a battery model. It is getting more difficult for me to climb up on a stool and replace the batteries or adjust for the Daylight Savings Time change. I checked on Amazon and found a J. Thomas electric clock that ran off 110V and supposedly handled the Daylight Savings Time Change automatically. I thought this would be a good move so I ordered one. This is an analog clock with conventional hands.

When I tried to install the clock, I realized that during the remodel, the outlet receptacle had been removed so I ordered one of those recessed ones. It arrived but was too deep to fit in the electrical box. I used a standard outlet and installed the clock. As expected the clock started and I thought I had set it to the correct time. Later I noticed that it was "slow" so I reset the clock again to the correct time. I didn't mess with it for a day or so but noted that the time was 1 hour 24 minutes slow. I did not reset the clock but let it continue to run. This morning I notice that it is still 1 hour 24 minutes slow leading me to believe that it has been accurate for the last day.

Maybe the clock has "settled in" and will continue to be accurate from now on. This seems very strange to me. It would seem that an electric clock would either work or not work. Maybe it has something to do with the automatic daylight savings time adjustment.

I realize that in the US we have 60Hz AC where in other countries it is 50Hz. My reasoning is that if I got a 50Hz clock and am running it on 60Hz that the clock should run fast and continue to gain time.

I checked with Amazon on the return policy and got a form document from the J. Thomas company. The document says that the item must be returned in original packing in pristine shape. I had thrown out the box but retrieved it. It is not in pristine condition. They say if they have to repackage that a 10% penalty is imposed. The document says a different procedure is used for a defective product (which I think I have) but they do not explain what that procedure is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015QJVJN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o...

My advice at the moment is Don't buy this clock. It is overpriced and may/may not keep accurate time.

This one may have been a better choice. Apparently I could have my "pill reminder" on this besides on my iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX1KSX8/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?ps...

Edited by tedbear 9/2/2018 12:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)