AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

County Fair Small Animal Sale (Chickens)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gmoney
Posted 7/19/2018 16:10 (#6880235)
Subject: County Fair Small Animal Sale (Chickens)

SC Wisconsin
This is new to me. As a kid, I sold steers at the sale. They were pretty simple. On the last day of the fair we loaded them up, and it was done.

This year, my kid is going to be selling chickens at the Dane County Fair. First time doing this and his club members haven't been a lot of help, so I was going to see if anyone on here had done a small animal sale or not.

One item that I struggle with is that the buyers get 30 days to pick up the animal, and can decide if they want it live or processed. These are Cornish Rocks, and I really don't think they have 30 more days in them. That would put them at 12 weeks - they will be round as basketballs, if they don't flip and die first. And if they die - then what?

The rest of their pen-mates have an appointment with the Amish butcher lady next Thursday. If the person wants a processed bird, it would be nice to drop them off together. But then, do I run into issues with the Dept of Ag selling unprocessed birds?

As you can see, my mind is thinking up all sorts of horror stories. But I'm sure things work out fine for 99.9999% of people. I'm just curious if anyone's been through one of these, and has any advice on what to expect?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)