AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our first crop on our own!!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Iowa Quality Hay
Posted 1/1/2009 20:47 (#554092)
Subject: Our first crop on our own!!!!!

Grabill, Indiana
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I've been on New Ag Talk for several years, starting when we lived and raised hay in Iowa. I have received good advice on rebuilding my Farmall B and Oliver 1800 as well as advice on our move and other farm questions. We even purchased the trailer for our move from a member of New Ag Talk. Thanks Mike, byt the way the trailer is now used by a local marching band for their equipment.

Now we are preparing for our first year of row-crop farming on our own!!!!!!! We raised 35 acres of hay on our Iowa farm and partnered on some corn and soybeans, but we had no say in the cropping decisions on the corn and beans.

We are renting 45 acres on a cash basis and will put 15 of that into hay and the rest into soybeans. We are also share cropping another 30 acres (10 soybeans and 20 acres hay). I will meet with the Garst Account Manager on Monday to talk about Alfalfa and Soybeans and have spoken with the LG Seeds representative.

Ove the past year we have added enough equipment for us to get a crop in the ground: field cultivator, cultimulcher, double disk drill. I am looking at a Demco 500 sprayer and hope we can rent enough acreage in the next few years to justify leasing or purchasing a no-till drill.

This will be the first crop that we will be raising completely on our own with all the decisions made by us. I am filled with a mix of excitment and fear. I am sure I will be shooting questions on NAT when I hit some rough spots.

Wish us luck!!

Jim

Edited by Iowa Quality Hay 1/1/2009 20:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)