AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice on a strategy to proceed with a basis contract
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jon
Posted 10/5/2017 19:12 (#6289839)
Subject: Need advice on a strategy to proceed with a basis contract

Callao Missouri
I'm not sure if I screwed up or not. I have an 8k bu basis contract at the river for November beans at -5 cents. The current basis for nov is -20 but has been higher.

My problem is I am not sure the price is going to get to a point that I want to sell before the end of Oct when I need to price the bu, or role the contract. Rolling a basis contract is 2cent fee, no big deal. However what I did not take into account or know about is the carry is going to be tossed on as well. For example today they would have wanted to charge me 2c + a 20c carry to role it a month. Their current basis is -20 for dec. Now figures could have changed a bit since 9am this morning.

My plan was originally as follows harvest the beans, bin them, deliver at my convenience, collect a 70% advance for cash flow needs meanwhile rolling it till price improves. However a 20 c carry charge is quickly going to erase any market gains.

After following Ag Talk advice on separating cash & basis, I feel that I have made a grand screw up. I need forward looking strategy ideas please

I'm leaning towards trying to find someone looking to deliver beans in nov, and give them this contract. Would that be ethical?

Thanks Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)