AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Followup on fire vault inside a safe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/20/2017 06:55 (#6258886)
Subject: Followup on fire vault inside a safe

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
A few days ago, someone mentioned the idea of getting a small fire vault and placing it inside a gun vault for "double" protection. I thought this sounded like a great idea and ordered one. My plan was to put it inside of the fire vault that my Dad installed in the home place where I now live. I thought this would give added protection for fire and better protection for water. As far as water I would mostly be concerned about water from putting out a fire but weather could certainly be a factor for some.

I ordered a SentrySafe from Amazon. They have different models. I ordered and received this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOO594O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o...

This was an opened box model so I saved a few dollars. The unit arrived on time and in new condition except that the box showed signs of being opened which was fine. The unit appears as advertised but I found a few things that I was not aware of and pass along.

1) the fire vault has a warning on it: It should not be used for firearms, other weapons, combustible materials and medication. Storing combustible materials is the very reason that I ordered it. If they were not combustible I would not be concerned about fire. Maybe this is just to cover themselves.

2) Although the vault may fit inside my existing fire vault, a shelf will need to be removed to get it in. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to remove the shelf.

3) The directions indicate that the unit should be placed with the feet down. The front plate with the key should be facing out and not up. It will not be possible to place the new fire vault inside the original fire vault with this orientation even if I get the shelf removed.

4) Abstracts for my property and other documents took up a lot more space than I anticipated and the new vault filled up quite quickly. I found several old documents that were not longer useful so I am discarding them.

At the moment it appears that the new fire vault may end up sitting on top of the original fire vault rather than being inside it. So all in all, maybe not a bad idea but it didn't work out quite like I planned.

Edited by tedbear 9/20/2017 07:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)