AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agri-Supply CV joint assembly update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 9/6/2017 22:51 (#6233557)
Subject: Agri-Supply CV joint assembly update

KY
Got the CV assembly I ordered from Agri-Supply. Looked identical to the one I am replacing, except this one has grease fittings on the outside of each cross as well as for the center of the u joints and the centering disc itself, so thumbs up there. Local mechanic said that they are a booger to get onto shaft, so I figured I'd start myself ahead of the game. I took a grinder and beveled the front edge of my old shaft, and then put a shine on the shaft for about 4 inches all the way around it. I set the shaft into the yoke as best I could, and then tapped the other end of the shaft on a 6x6 while holding the cv. Two taps and it was seated all the way down. Set it in the drill press and bored a hole in each side of the shaft for the roll pin, and drove it home. 10 minute job start to finish. Spent way too much time working on removing old shot CV from shaft, finally stuck it in band saw and cut the shaft. Only lost 4 inches or so and still have more than plenty of telescope left in the shaft. Ran the mower over a couple acres real quick, everything tight and smooth. Well satisfied for a $400 fix VS $1,100 dealer cost which only would have provided two extra u-joints and the coupler on the gearbox end.. why replace shafts when they're straight?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)