AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dakota's weather update?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mojave
Posted 6/10/2017 17:00 (#6063944)
Subject: Dakota's weather update?

NE SD
First a description of our area for reference of what the rest of the Dakota's might look like. If you look at the latest drought monitor we farm right on the line between the white (no drought) and yellow (abnormally dry) on the eastern side of SD. We are between Watertown and Brookings. I'd say most of our ground is in the white area although we are what I would call abnormally dry for June. Top soil is dried out for a few inches. Our last two fields of beans have an uneven stand with about half of the beans in any given area of the field or row up good putting on 1st trifoliate and some beans not germinated at all and what is worse some germinated but died due to drying out. Overall however we look good. We have good subsoil moisture which will sustain us for awhile. You don't have to go very far north or west of us and it looks much worse however. So I assume that those areas are really hurting and since most of SD and all of ND are dryer than we are right here according to the drought monitor I assume they need some good rains NOW to keep them in the game for much longer. Yesterday there was a decent chance of rain Sunday morning for our area. If I remember correctly it was about a 60% chance for about .5 inches. At noon today rain chances had increased for Saturday night into Sunday morning, Sunday night and then again Monday night. Amounts forecasted total about an inch. That was a pretty dramatic change. I checked the forecast again just now and chances had backed off a bit with the best chance Sunday night with forecasted amounts of still only about .5 inches. Like others have noted, the forecast seem to be flip flopping a bit.

Wind has died down a bit this afternoon but you can tell that the last two days of heat in the low 90's and 20-30 mph winds had an effect on crops and pastures even though we are/were sitting pretty good. Nothing dramatic but later planted crops might have suffered a bit and will be the first to go backwards if we don't get rain soon.

I'm wondering if others in the Dakota's are seeing their chances of rain increase as well? There were some light green areas on the radar in ND last night and earlier today. Did anyone get any rain out of that? How will your crops fair if you do not get rain tonight or tomorrow?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)