AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vote... New planter bulk fill ground drive or bulk fill hyd. drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

runningihred
Posted 3/18/2017 12:51 (#5907317)
Subject: vote... New planter bulk fill ground drive or bulk fill hyd. drive

west central iowa
We are still looking for a new corn planter this spring. I've decided to go to a caseih 1255 16row 30, but I can't seem to decide whether or not we need to have it be hyd. drive. We have good shape fields and our soil is fairly consistent all across the farm. We don't have prescriptions written and I don't think we will do that for at least 5 to 8 more years. I know with hyd. drive, you get a cable driven row unit, and electric row shut offs. Ground drive is still all chains and simply. Put the planter down and go... simply. However with row shut offs, a guy has to go back to air clutches. I may even skip row shut offs all together. Our last planter was hyd. driven and air clutches. I hated running that complex thing. Something was always wrong, and I was stopped in the field not getting anything done. I will plant 800 to 1100 acres of corn year depending on prices. The biggest reason for a new planter, is to run a liquid system of in furrow fertilizer and liquid insecticide. The cost savings is huge for a liquid verses a dry granular insecticide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)