AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jake brake on a pickup?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FlyLow
Posted 9/6/2006 22:05 (#41942)
Subject: Jake brake on a pickup?

South Texas
I understand the basic operation of the brake and have seen the cut-away photos of the actual valve, so I think I have the concept down and can understand why the large truck drivers would use them.

S'pose I end up with, say, a 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins and Allison, and expect a monthly 1500 mile, 8000 lb gooseneck tow plus a fair amount of smaller towing in between. Is a Jake even worth considering? Does it get noisy in the cab? Is it effective? Does it shorten engine life? Does it come on manually or automatically? Does it really reduce brake wear? (I would expect the truck has 4 wheel disc brakes and likely two axles of electric brakes on the trailer.) Is a Jake all or nothing or can it be a variable amount of backpressure?

Here's a dummy question--is it fair to say the Jake would be effective on only every other revolution? For 4 cycle diesels, the compression stroke would already have a full charge of air to provide braking resistance. In fact, that engine braking comes free with every diesel. However, the Jake would affect the next upstroke exhaust cycle by preventing the air from exhausting, hence, that cycle also meets with air compression resistance. Is that how it works? So you aren't increasing the pressure in the cylinder--just achieving it on twice as many upstrokes?

By the way, why are there no Jakes on a gas motor? Or is that just my misconception?

There were a few comments on a previous thread from one fellow who, I think, actually is using the Jake. I didn't see answers to these questions, though. Thanks for any comments.

Take care. Stetts
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)