AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The worlds a changing {especially in our schools}
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

M&M's
Posted 12/18/2016 20:08 (#5707973)
Subject: The worlds a changing {especially in our schools}

NESD
Here is a short story for you guys to think about on a cold winter evening. You can tell me where you think the country is headed. No doubt its going to be changing faster and faster.
The other evening I was catching up on some paperwork. I had a land contract mailed to me and I was to sign and return a copy to one of my landlords. It had a line for a "witness" beside where I was to sign myself. This is a long time family friend and we don't always have a witness, but if someone is near we have them John Hancock it. My thirteen year old son was standing close and I told him to come over and sign this paper in the proper spot. He looked at me funny and said that he was unable to do that because he could only print his name. He told me he could usually decipher cursive but really could not really read or write it. It totally caught me off guard.
How could the world have changed so much on me that I missed that. I have been out of school about 25 years and I think we learned to sign our names not long after we mastered the alphabet and printing. I think I am going to teach him how to sign his name after I thought about all the things he cannot do. He actually rents a quarter of land from a good friend and distant relative. I have had to do the paperwork at the FSA office because they don't recognize minors. No big deal, but we are going to open a checking account for him and get him started paying his way. Can't do that till he can sign a check. It really opened my eyes to how fast the world is changing. Maybe in five more years he won't have to sign his name at the FSA office, maybe they will just scan his retina's or something. Just thought I would share because of how hard it was for me to wrap my head around it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)