AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Driving into Chicago on a Friday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaCenturyFarm
Posted 11/11/2016 09:42 (#5631296)
Subject: Driving into Chicago on a Friday

I was hoping someone could offer guidance on driving into Chicago on a Friday next month. My wife and I are going to be staying on the north end of the Magnificent Mile, basically in between Oak Street Beach and Navy Pier. We are arriving on a Friday, and leaving on a Sunday. I will most likely come across on Hwy. 20 to Rockford and enter Chicago on I-90 unless you guys tell me 80/88/290 is a better way to come into town. I haven't been to Chicago since I was a kid, so no idea what is best other than I wouldn't mind driving through Galena on the way there, so that is my preferred route if it doesn't make much difference on traffic.

My other question beyond the best route is how much traffic can I expect entering the city? Will most traffic be going the opposite way, heading west to the suburbs, or doesn't it make much difference which direction you're going? Ideally our schedule would have us arriving in Chicago mid-afternoon, but if that will be a big PITA we could drive to Dubuque or somewhere else along the route the night before to get us into Chicago earlier if that helps us avoid the worst traffic.

Is it worth driving along the lake at all? I-90 takes us almost to our hotel, but we would take the scenic route either coming or going if it's worth the extra time. If so, what areas are the best to see?

Also, will it be any trouble leaving town on Sunday morning?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Edited by IowaCenturyFarm 11/11/2016 09:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)