AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm Backkkkk.........................
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/9/2016 23:37 (#5628782)
Subject: I'm Backkkkk.........................

Well I've come back from a self imposed ban. It started early this year, one of my sons was offered part of a ranch to buy in the valley from long time ranching family. We started in Feb. trying to work things out to get it purchased as a first time farmer deal through FSA for him. Well we could plainly see that wasn't going to go smoothly right from the first meeting he had with FSA. So at that time I felt it best to drop my posting on here, because there was people in FSA that viewed and read here. I didn't want to mess up his one time chance to buy a legacy ranch here in the valley that fit right in with mine.

We had a tight time frame of 8 months to get it done, and to the credit of FSA they drug their feet the whole time up until the last two weeks. It was very frustrating. Our banker had their side done in less than 25 days. If our banker hadn't been the driving force behind getting FSA to follow their own rules I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten it though them. This just goes to show how different government offices handle their workloads, as I clearly have seen over the last 30 years dealing with three different offices. There is some great people in some offices, others are just there for a paycheck. This was the first time anyone in my family has ever borrowed money from FSA, I never did starting out because of these types of holdups. But he did get it done, now the interesting part is going to be making the payments. There is no way a first time farmer can make it on their own if buying any real estate of size without help these days.

We had a good summer, however it was very dry. Finally got 6" of rain in the past 50 days. It has been a lifesaver. Just shipped calves this last week, steers were 40 lbs. over contract, heifers came right in on weight.

Part of my family got a great pleasure in meeting a fellow AgTalker Donald and his lovely family this summer. We didn't get to spend much time, as my wife and I had to leave to go to Steamboat to sell calves on the video sale. If Donald reads this I'm sure he will voice a lot of my same concerns, he and I had a chance to talk with a young banker that stopped by that day to try and get our business. We talked about agriculture, land prices, etc. I think Donald summed it up well, we all have challenges in production agriculture dependent on our locations. That the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I'm sorry we couldn't taken more time toured the country more, your family is always welcome here Donald.

So I thought I would throw a few pics on here for Donald's family and others to see. Some were taken on Utah private summer range, calf crop, BLM winter range on the old First Transcontinental Railroad just west of Promontory, Utah. Some of my great cowboy help, and yes we still use horses, motor bikes, 4-wheelers to get the job done. Grain bin fubar, pics of my kids fencing the other day, and my aspiring vet student working on a first calf heifer with our vet. He is just starting to interview next week for vet school, will finish up his 4 year degree this winter. Last but not least a pic of my ugly mug hauling political promises to the field today.

(Utah summer range 16'.jpg)

(Good help 16'.jpg)

(calves 16'.jpg)

(only two reds 16'.jpg)

(Plowing 16'.jpg)

(Opps 16'.jpg)

(Pulling well 16'.jpg)

(cleaning well 16'.jpg)

(well 16'.jpg)

(Fencing crew 16'.jpg)

(Utah Rail grade 16'.jpg)

(Grade 16'.jpg)

(#2 right hand man.jpg)

(Right hand man.jpeg)

(Me.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Utah summer range 16'.jpg (359KB - 330 downloads)
Attachments Good help 16'.jpg (144KB - 341 downloads)
Attachments calves 16'.jpg (92KB - 379 downloads)
Attachments only two reds 16'.jpg (148KB - 360 downloads)
Attachments Plowing 16'.jpg (141KB - 403 downloads)
Attachments Opps 16'.jpg (118KB - 347 downloads)
Attachments Pulling well 16'.jpg (267KB - 351 downloads)
Attachments cleaning well 16'.jpg (363KB - 330 downloads)
Attachments well 16'.jpg (217KB - 331 downloads)
Attachments Fencing crew 16'.jpg (303KB - 305 downloads)
Attachments Utah Rail grade 16'.jpg (109KB - 351 downloads)
Attachments Grade 16'.jpg (106KB - 354 downloads)
Attachments #2 right hand man.jpg (101KB - 318 downloads)
Attachments Right hand man.jpeg (357KB - 373 downloads)
Attachments Me.jpg (52KB - 359 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)