AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your biggest missed opportunity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 10/4/2016 15:42 (#5563659)
Subject: Your biggest missed opportunity

SC Wisconsin
Now I don't want folks to get all depressed here and say what their biggest regret is, but if you could have seen into the future and picked one deal you would have jumped on what would it be? My grandfather had the chance to invest in McDonald's when they were trying to get it started, and we all know how life changing that decision would have been if he would have believed the founders could have done what they did. I started hauling out summers manure stockpile today and it gave me some time to think. Back when I was about 21 (5 long years ago) I bought some heifer calves from some people about 3 hours north of me. I had a long discussion with them about how I wanted to milk cows but was just working for a neighbor at the time and wanted to go on my own in a few years. A couple weeks after I bought these calves, out of the blue they called me up and asked how I would like to come work for them for a while, see how I liked it, and possibly buy them out. I was on the edge of committing, but their buildings needed some work and were crammed into a couple acres. They were really old fashioned in the way they ran their operation, and I was just afraid to move 3 hours away from anyone I knew with people that I just met. Plus, the hills up there were terrifying lol! They had no kids, so that would have made it a rather simple deal that way. They were milking 70 some cows in a parlor and had a couple hundred acres. I don't regret it, but I was just pondering today how much different (better or worse) my life my be right now if I would have bit the bullet. It's too late now, as I have a really well paying job and I bought my place shortly after talking with them so I'm pretty well in it for the lo g haul now, but I thought about calling them up and seeing what direction they ever went in and how things turned out
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)