AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

like father like daughter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/25/2016 19:14 (#5320229)
Subject: like father like daughter

south east Indiana
I have been taking pairs out to grass and back each day which gives the dogs some work as well as saves on some grass. The one group I have been moving has about 30 ewes and their lambs, not a huge group but not small either. The last week I have been mostly using Zeva for this since she is the one that needs the experience. She is quite good for 17 months old, I really have no complaints. There are areas she needs work on like picking sheep up off a fence. She would rather hold them against it rather than slip in behind and bring them off, especially if I am behind the sheep and fence. She hesitates if she has to gather in dog leg type pattern and bring sheep around a fence also. No big deal she will figure it out with more work.

I was struck by how much she works like her dad, Scott, this week. She has got to be sipping some of his jet fuel, WOW she is fast. She does 0 to 60 in a second. She can be standing at my feet one second spot sheep in the pasture 300 yards away and she is off. Good thing I started her young so I have some control in place with her blooming enthusiasm. 9 times out of 10 if I catch her just thinking about gathering sheep I can call her back but if I dont catch her before the afterburners light she simply does not hear me - all focus is ahead on sheep. If I could get a bit more thought and down shift a couple notches all will be good:)

She also has been dropping some ewes and lambs off the group and coming into 2/3 of them instead of the entire group. That has worried me a bit, if the ewes choose to stand and eat she has not been making them move. She is acting unsure of just what to do and takes the easy way out. I have been trying to help her a bit and remind her if she just stops and focuses on them walking up a bit she can be successful. Seems I showed her every day or twice a day.
Today she was PERFECT took the entire group out and back with no problems or help.

(DSC_0706.JPG)

(DSC_0727.JPG)

(DSC_0751.JPG)

(DSC_0768.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0706.JPG (158KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0727.JPG (183KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0751.JPG (191KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0768.JPG (406KB - 98 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)