AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell Me what is a Hydraulic Motor 'Motor Drain Port'?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ridge Valley Cropper
Posted 5/15/2016 11:01 (#5302831)
Subject: Tell Me what is a Hydraulic Motor 'Motor Drain Port'?

SCWisconsin
Anyone know what a hydraulic motor ‘motor drain’ is? (No, I’m not talking about case drain). See the attached picture. This is the fan motor for the CCS system off of a 1775 Deere Planter.

From the picture: The two largest hoses are supply and return. The smallest hose connected at about 7:00 o-clock and drooping straight down and out of pic is the case drain. (Need’s zero / low back pressure return). This hose is nothing more than fuel line hose / hose barb connection and on a factory installation routes to a small reservoir. (Not shown in my pic).
The last (4th) hose is (factory) tag marked, ‘Motor Drain’. I routed this around and connected it to my normal return line. (But I am rethinking this).

Here’s a little background: Earlier this year I posted my CCS adapted 1780 planter. It is now an 18 row 20” dedicated soybean planter. Everything is ready to go with exception of this last detail. Since this is all custom, Deere dealers are not too interested in helping, (I get that especially during busy season, so no hard feelings). My closest dealer cannot not tell me what this drain is for, or more importantly what precautions regarding connection should be made.
I’m pulling this with a 275 Magnum, and my Case IH guy has never seen a ‘motor drain’ on a hydraulic motor. (The 4th port).

This drain ‘pee’s just a tiny amount of oil when operating. Unfortunately this port was plugged at first when I first fired it up in shop. I’m guessing I compromised the motor seals just a touch, because the case drain ‘pee’s a tiny stream, far more than acceptable I suppose when Deere Literature states the case drain canister should not fill up during an entire planting season. (Certainly related to run time as well). I have a ‘pile’ of hoses from the original installation and that I don’t need since I am running this off my 4th remote independently versus going into planter hydraulics and electrical. (Just manually turning on and off when lifting planter out of ground. (For this year only due to time). So that is why I didn’t think to hook anything up to this ‘plugged’ port, when I first fired it up in my shop.

Yup, I’m a gambler and an adventurist. (Or a bonehead). My backup is to use my 1770NT corn planter and plant 30” rows if I can’t get this thing going regarding confidence, in the next day or so. Nothing like the eleventh hour!

By the way, everything seems to run fine. The case drain seals should not have been compromised since that line was never plugged. I have a new motor waiting for me just in case. (Expensive lessen). What brand motor is this? Can’t tell, no tags.

Oh yes, I have looked at new Deere CCS planters in Equipment Lots…. but try to figure out were that ‘motor return’ line is going in that ‘hose jungle’ on a fully blown variable seed rate, CCS planter.

So back to the original question. What is a ‘motor drain’? I think I am going to tie it in with my case drain line since it only has a very tiny stream / drip when operating. (I know this since I have these two lines going into a bucket during testing.
Thanks for any input.

(Fan Motor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fan Motor.jpg (67KB - 171 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)