AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any hope?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

premoj
Posted 5/11/2016 13:41 (#5295239)
Subject: Any hope?

Had a angus heifer calve in '15 and was pretty rough with her calf and would not let it nurse until I kept after it to let calf nurse... I chalked it up to udder hurting and being its first calf and not knowing how to act. Now this year same thing... cow using calf as a Frisbee, the calf barely hit the ground and she was rolling it down the hill. I think she was trying to get it to some taller grass. The cow was never aggressive towards me, but a couple times would throw calf at me, as if to say take it I don't want it... I finally got the calf to stay in the tall grass over night, and couple days later I finally saw the calf was nursing on her (I assumed it was but never observed before then). But cow will do same to other newborn calves... Seems to be once she gets past the first couple days she is fine, but is really frustrating to watch. Just nervous that she will kill her calf next time or some other cows new born. Its one of those instances that I really like her genetics, but her personality not so much. Right now I am keeping an eye on her, but leaning more towards this being her last calf because I don't know that I can trust her, and four of the five calves are heifers including hers. 12 more to go, so we will see. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)