AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bloat and salt - HW article
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/8/2016 12:07 (#5288572)
Subject: Bloat and salt - HW article

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I've had some folks ask me about why my cows don't bloat on my lush combined grasses alfalfa rotational grazing this time of year.

Well, I have no idea but have not so far seen any signs of bloat, knock on wood.  Reading Hereford World magazine this morning there was an interesting article by Heather Smith Thomas about bloat.

Her article talks about how important salt is in preventing bloat on lush pastures, especially pre-bloom alfalfa and some lush grasses. This is exactly what my Herefords are grazing right now. I'll add a pic.

The article relates how farmers in New Zealand noted the cattle near the sea bloated less than ones inland and eventually discovered the salt was the difference.  I have notice3d my cows going through a lot of salt recently. I use white salt blocks in plastic trays made for the purpose and located next to my waterer.

I won't repeat the article but do want to suggest it as reading for anyone grazing especially lush pastures right now. Here's a link to the current issue of HW. You can click on the "pasture problems" article for more info on bloat. I also recommend the article on "making hay".

Here's what my cows are grazing right now. I think I'll put out another salt block....

(IMG007_grazing lush mixed spring pasture in rotational grazing system 050716.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG007_grazing lush mixed spring pasture in rotational grazing system 050716.jpg (112KB - 155 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)