AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Double rolling baskets making speed bumps--solutions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CMCC
Posted 4/21/2016 10:41 (#5255794)
Subject: Double rolling baskets making speed bumps--solutions.

West Central Indiana
I have a 38.5' TM 200 single fold field cultivator with 5 bar spike tooth harrow. I pull a 40' JM double rolling basket behind it. There is no leveling rake or spike tooth harrow on it, just the two baskets. This is the first cultivator I've had for a while ( 4th season) that I feel does a good job of leveling and staying in the ground. In certain soil conditions like fall chiseled corn stalks I'm pretty confident the front basket gets to pushing a little pile of dirt then "walks" over it, creating little speed bumps for the planter. In untouched bean stubble I don't feel like the bumps are as bad but they are there, and when you turn the lights on at night they really show up. I'm cultivating 4- 5" deep traveling 6-7 MPH trying to smooth up tile lines but feel like I'm defeating the purpose with the basket making bumps. Would I be better off shallowing the cultivator up so the ground is not so soft? Would a leveling rake on the basket firm the ground up for the rolling harrow to prevent the problem? My neighbor has same brand of cultivator/basket combination except for his is 30'. His worked bean stubble seems very smooth, but he is only going 2-3" deep at best and 5.5 MPH. Took the basket off yesterday and the field appears smoother, but now I have a lot of clods that reminded me of why I bought the basket in the first place. Thanks guys.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)