AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Haz Mat charge for welding wire
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Greg in NCIA
Posted 4/11/2016 12:13 (#5236589)
Subject: Haz Mat charge for welding wire

North Central Iowa

I don't buy welding wire often.  44# lasts quite a while around here.  When I ran out last week I looked online, figuring I could save a little money.  I checked Amazon and a few other places, then compare them to the Airgas website, who is my local supplier.  Airgas was right in line with everyone else, so I bought it at my local store.  I prefer to support the local people whenever I can.  I bought my welder there and exchange gas bottles there as well.  They do a good job.  When I got home and looked at the bill.  The price was the same as they quoted online, but there was an $8.00 charge for a Haz Mat fee on the welding wire.  This isn't flux core, it's just solid wire.  I called them back to make sure it wasn't a mistake.  The guy that answered the phone wasn't sure, but checked with the boss.  He said anything that has an MSDS sheet gets a Haz Mat charge.  He said that they get asked that question frequently, but that's company policy.

It's not a big deal, but when we're trying to pinch pennies the way crop prices are, I find it a bit irritating.  I was very polite, but I told him that I may have to shop around next time and to pass it on to the boss. They will never miss my business.  I'm just a small customer.  Am I being unreasonable or is that just the way welding wire is sold?  I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it, but I just wondered what you guys think.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)