AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dead lamb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

birdfarmer2199
Posted 3/4/2016 20:37 (#5155727)
Subject: Dead lamb

Cental Indiana
Ewe lamb (single) born Feb 3rd. Noticed last night that she didn't come up when I fed the rest. She was alert and sitting up like normal just didnt come over to the feed bunk. This morning about 5am she was sitting on the far end of the pen opposite from last night. Didn't get up but none of the rest did either. Tonight around 5:30 she's layed out flat and dead. Different area from where she was sitting this morning. Been eating and nursing well. Seen her eating in the creep pen several times. Ewe doesn't seem bothered by it at all tonight.

Only difference Ive made in the last 2 days is I weaned some of the oldest lambs on Tuesday and moved them to the other side of the barn. But this lamb was not weaned, moved or handled in anyway. Same feed and feeding schedule for the ewes.

Hindsight thinks I should have treated her last night when she didn't come to the bunk. She was alert and watched my every move just didn't come over. No other signs and was active until last night.

What did I miss? Can pneumonia act that quick in young lambs?

By the way lamb with the tail issue from earlier in the week is fine. Never slowed down any and if you didn't know there was a problem you wouldn't know it today.

Edited by birdfarmer2199 3/4/2016 20:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)