AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rent negotiations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 1/8/2016 20:33 (#5022053)
Subject: Rent negotiations

SW WI
Anyone have any luck trying to lower their rent? Along the lines of complimenting Tara from below, awhile ago he made some comments about rent that I agree with.

He stated that he had long term "partners" that understood the ebb and flow of crop prices/ income from year to year. Sounds like one of my landlords that I feel actually cares about my livelihood rather than just cashing a check. I don't think I'm misreprenting what Tara said, but what I got out of his post was that rents needed to come down along with other inputs. Tara, correct me if I missed your point.

Well, other than the landlord that I think will work with me, I have 1 that just wants to cash a check. Now, don't get bent over that comment, I fully agree he can extract as much from me as I'm willing to pay. He also can shop his land around to find a renter willing to pay more. It is the way the game is played. But now comes the hard part,he is asking for an increase this year when I was pitching rents need to come down.

So I will be deciding if I want to pass on this land, no "take it and shove it", it needs to make sense for me. What I have trouble with is the machinery aspect. Machines don't run for free and eventually need to be replaced. But I've got the equipment to handle the acreage. Why are so many farmers, myself include, reluctant to give up land that is breakdown or a loss?

There are other options, an area farmer is downsizing his rented ground, told me what he was paying, and said I should make an offer on the land he gave up. So maybe I could replace those acres with something new.

Kind of shocked at the disconnect for what rents around here have been doing. After all the landlord sure followed commodity prices on the way up. Sadly there seem to be more like this than Tara's partners.

On a side note, a few posters from the thread below said Tara postings could use some sensitivity. I've never been to offended by his posts. But on the other hand if his posts need sensitivity then so do a bunch of others....and they don't even have worthwhile thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)