AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Small-timer
Posted 6/17/2015 11:25 (#4631748)
Subject: What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg

SW WI
If a guy has 200 acres, split corn and beans, what would be the greater return on investment, or quicker I should say. Backround. 200 acres, corn and beans. Work full time in town, some Saturday's. Hire my combininh done by someone who also works in town. Live 4 miles from 2 markets and 8 from a third. Drying and shrink are expansive. Won't be owning a combine anytime soon. Lots of small short odd shaped fields. Roughly 10% overlap. Can't do both, can only do one right now. I'm young, and would like to grow. I enjoy technology and what it can do for me. I like the idea of being able to put in my own bin. I would put up a small dryer, wet bin and probably a 6000-10000 bushel bin. Or I would do row clutches down force monitoring, and would like to go with Agleader to be able to add Autosteer but wouldn't be apposed to a 20/20. I no till, and am obsessed with data. I think it's the seceret to being able to grow and lower inputs while raising output. Bins and dryer would be used. I know a lot are thinking it can't but I will do it myself, scavenge for deals and have around $13k in the bin set up. Same budget for precision Ag equipment. Used precision Ag doesn't seem to be much of a discount so I would probably go used.

So guys who have both, which way should I go? Any questions please ask. Thanks.

Ps. Not interested in a drying bin. Also, not looking for toys, I'm looking to increase efficiency and profits.

My thoughts are with a dryer, very little cost to start shelling at 18-20% corn, reduce shelling on the head, get done sooner. Not pay shrink and inflated drying costs. Precision Ag, be able to see what the planter is doing, reduce seed costs, increase yield on over planted areas and catch any issues the planter is having. Also, being able to grow into automated down force, auto steer and variable rate. From there I can add auto steer and a sprayer system to increase efficiency and reduce Chemical costs.

Edited by Small-timer 6/17/2015 11:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)