AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone with Autistic teenagers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Blossom
Posted 1/5/2015 13:48 (#4288974)
Subject: Anyone with Autistic teenagers?

Or have kids/grandkids that have social awkwardness or inadequacies? (I'm trying to word as to not offend)

I have a 14 year old boy who falls under the Autism spectrum. When he was younger, he was diagnosed as being autistic through the school system but we didn't feel it justified the outlay of money and time to take him to the big city to have him officially labeled as we already knew. As he has gotten older, it almost seems as he is growing out of some of the habits associated with autism but what he can't seem to shake is his behavior around peers. The things that interest my son and what he talks about and his behavior in stressful situations make a lot of kids shy away from him. I guess the best way to describe him is he is wired different than what you would perceive mainstream kids to be.

I drop him and his brother off at school most mornings and I watch him walk alone into the school as others around him greet each other and play in groups as kids do. It makes me feel bad for him as all he wants is a good friend. One of the neighbor boys is really good to my son, but this same neighbor boy is popular and many kids clamor to him. My son puts 100% stock into this neighbor boy being his best friend but due to circumstances just mentioned, this boy has many friends and can't offer this back to my son. (not blaming boy, it is just reality) We have encouraged our son to open up and be nice to all and that by doing so, he could find other friends but hasnt worked out so far.

As a back story, our family has moved twice since 2012 due to job changing, so he has been in the current school/sitation for 1.5 years now.

To me, my son is perfect and I love him just the way he came to me, but I wanted to just reach out to anyone else who has been there to see if there is any ideas that we are missing that could help the situation. Thanks in advance-

Edited by Blossom 1/5/2015 16:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)