AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on seed corn and seed corn production
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mr.D
Posted 11/29/2014 10:19 (#4208542)
Subject: Question on seed corn and seed corn production

NC Iowa
I know there have been numerous post this year on seed corn and cost. My question comes down to where some of the small family owned seed companies come up with their seed corn they sell. I know they all don't have seed corn production and seed corn processing facilities. Since there are only a few companies that have the seed stock, how do these small family owned companies get their seed corn ? I'm questioning this because we end up buying some seed corn from a couple of neighbors who sell for small family owned companies. This past year we had seed corn from 2 different family owned companies in the same maturity that looked very similar in the field. I sworn I'd never plant the one number again, but in planning my 2015 seed corn order, I'm wondering if the 2 companies were selling the same corns. We grow a lot of corn on corn and know it is best not to plant the same hybrid on the same fields for multiple years. The seed corn I was planning on the one corn on corn field, (one of the corns I planted in 2014) has me questioning whether I should plant it where I had planned or move it somewhere else. I know in the past there had been a seed corn list on AG Talk that broke down seed corns from different companies showing which corns are the same. I'm interested in corns sold primarily in North Central Iowa. Any help would be appreciated. Mr.D

Edited by Mr.D 11/29/2014 15:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)