AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raked some rained on hay today (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/6/2014 20:55 (#4059677)
Subject: Raked some rained on hay today (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

This is the mixed alfalfa/grass hay I mowed and then tedded out on Tuesday, 9/2, 4 days ago.  It has been rained on twice. Thunderstorms on on Wednesday and Thursday nights but only about 0.33" total. With the cooler temperatures (mid 40's last night) it took a while for the dew to burn off today but this afternoon  I raked it today to still try to bale it dry and get it up. The cooler temps and rain have really started the regrowth.

The hay actually looks pretty good underneath.  The NH rake did a nice job of picking almost all of it up.  I think the center "Kicker wheel" option I added to the rake last week was especially helpful in this situation or there would be nothing to lift the center of the tedded hay.

It looks like it will bale nicely tomorrow. I was going to try to bale it this evening but it still felt a bit damp so I mowed more grass and will bale this and put it in the shed tomorrow. I probably should have inline wrapped this alfalfa mix on Wednesday afternoon... Still won't be too bad dry hay though.

Here is a picture of the raking today. It looked to me like most of the leaves are still on the alfalfa. This rake does a nice job.

Jim

edit: I'll add a picture of what it looked like on Tuesday in about this same spot after mowing but before tedding it back out.

edit 2: Also a picture of it tedded out from Tuesday.  As Clicker suggests below, maybe the main difference with only 3/10's rain on it is color.

Edited by Jim 9/6/2014 22:15

(IMG011 Raking rained on mixed alfalfa hay 090614.jpg)

(IMG023 narrower windrows in wet alfalfa and wet ground 090214.jpg)

(IMG043 tedding narrower windrows in wet alfalfa and wet ground 090214.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG011 Raking rained on mixed alfalfa hay 090614.jpg (163KB - 801 downloads)
Attachments IMG023 narrower windrows in wet alfalfa and wet ground 090214.jpg (136KB - 816 downloads)
Attachments IMG043 tedding narrower windrows in wet alfalfa and wet ground 090214.jpg (152KB - 823 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)