AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stihl Yard boss and stones out of the yard SLICK !!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 4/12/2014 11:14 (#3811242)
Subject: Stihl Yard boss and stones out of the yard SLICK !!!

Well, I went and bought a Stihl Yard Boss for my Mom and Dad's birthday, and yesterday gave it a good try, I think the rotary brush works better, but if the grass is small and tender or if the turf is a little on the wet side, it can be too aggressive and tear it out. I got the rubber paddles too, they work ok, better on the tender grass, but overall, if one waits until its fairly dry on top the brush wins my vote. I set ours up to pull it when I use it, for me ,it was easier to pull than push, this can be easily changed by 2 screws that hold the 90 degree gearbox where the brushes mount.
I got the easy start version, and will probably get the string trimmer attachment in the future, if mom's DR gives up its ghost...
I have a fair amount invested in the little booger, but used it better part of the day and ALL of our drives and yard are done....I guess Mom got a bonus with B Day gift of labor too :-), thats more than ok with me, anyway, honestly I do think it would have been too much for her to handle, she did use it some to try out and aggreed that it does a great job, she was able to start it too, she made the comment she could run it for awhile, then take a break.... ( like that would happen ).
All said and done would I buy another, YEP ! I am that happy with it, I found pulling it at a little angle it would make a small windrow as well as pull the stones back, and then the previous swipe would stay clean.
I also made about a 3-4" longer mud flap to keep stones from flying higher than knee level, that worked good too. ( would not need this if pushed ) .
The brush will bring up a fair amount of dead grass too, kinda like a thatcher.
The pics are of just one pull or sweep back at full throttle, and slow walk backwards.

One of my best friends rented an Echo string strimmer type with the brush attatchment, and it worked ok, but you had to push it to make it work, and it was a lot of work to do the job, as far as I am concerned, the Yard Boss smokes that thing big time, but you want the wheel kit on the Yard Boss.

I still would not mind having a broom on our garden or compact tractor though....but I never had this much snow and stones in our yards before either ( thanks old WINTER ) hahaha

Just thought I would share my thoughts before anyone else buys one or rents one.

Rog

Edit, I tried uploading pics with new way, but am having trouble, maybe moderator can help too ? i 

Edited by hf213 4/12/2014 11:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)