AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting Teff, 1st time. Economical drill and hope
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

fastline1
Posted 4/2/2014 23:34 (#3793496)
Subject: Planting Teff, 1st time. Economical drill and hope

After a dismal run last year with oat hay, I decided to hold off and wait for a warm season planting of Teff in hopes the market will look better. I have experience with some smaller seeds in a Brillion but I KNOW Teff is small. I have considered broadcast planting and packing after to hopefully cover and pack but....

The Brillion we have now is only 6ft, we use for fescue yard planting. I am curious if there are other drills I can shop for with similar performance? Why does Brillion have a corner on this market?

Anyway, I can probably rent one but I am hoping to find a decent one cheap enough that I can justify just owning.

As well, I am curious what variety might be preferred in KS and what I "might" be able to expect for annual tonnage?

My plan involves scratching the ground cover with a cultivator, then either broadcasting and rolling, or running the drill on that which has packing wheels. I know a firm seed bed is important so I did not want to disc but I sort of have a wild mess in this field right now. I might need to go over it a couple times.

EDIT: please excuse my use of the word "drill". I realize a Brillion is technically a seeder though it would be great if I could tune one to plant medium grains as well. Probably not realistic though.

Edited by fastline1 4/2/2014 23:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)