AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever do something stupid on the farm and live to tell about it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 2/5/2014 14:10 (#3664946)
Subject: Ever do something stupid on the farm and live to tell about it?

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
With all the talk lately about grain bin deaths got me to thinking about my past and wondered why I'm still around to think about or even tell about it. I've had my fair share of them but two stick out the most with a third "kind of funny". I'll just share these three. Anybody else care to share?

1. When I was a kid maybe 10-12 years old my dad shelled some ear corn from a outside corn pile that had snow on it. It was put into a corn bin to dry. Don't remember why but some time later dad decided to take some of the corn out. Problem was the snow crystals froze the corn. Can still see my dad, brother and I up on top of the frozen corn with steel rods poking the frozen corn to get it to flow towards the sump pump which was STILL RUNNING. Corn bin was level full. Gives me the willies just thinking how lucky we are on that dumb move.

2. Was not to many years ago, was working with my skid loader and I back up into a drop off by my damn and I ended up on its side in about 6 inches of water. Had I been a little bit further from where I laid it over it the cab would have been completely submerged in water. I posted that story on here back then.

3. Probably wasn't deadly but could've been, at least I laugh about this one. I was working in our church parsonage basement with a couple of other guys and our pastor. The well water pump motor was down there and needed to be changed. I was taking the wiring off the old motor after another guy supposedly shut off the power going to the pump. Wrong, he shut off the wrong breaker so here I am standing in water unhooking the wires when I get the shock of my life and get jolted standing not over 4 feet from my pastor. First words out of my mouth were *esus *hrist!!! Now keep in mind I very seldom swear but that moment got the best of me. Even the pastor laughed with me after I apologized for taking the lords name in vain.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)