AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How in the hell do you show a profit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 12/12/2012 13:06 (#2747772)
Subject: How in the hell do you show a profit

Beef/cow calf, starting out on my own and had a few head for a few years and looking to expand. Putting the numbers together in my budget and I barely show a profit but in no way enough of a profit to cover depreciation. And no, I do not have much tied up in depreciation for equipment, buildings, etc. I'm talking about cow depreciation, primarily for taxes. Or does no one figure that in since the cows should be worth something at the end of their productivity unless they die?

And the sad part about it is I know I am ineffcient in some ways and am looking to change that, but am no shape or form paying for inputs that I see a lot of other producers paying for around here. Pasture land rent, etc, etc.

What other ideas should I be looking at. I have one pasture that I need to fill and aren't to excited about expanding my cow-calf herd that big that soon? Should I buy yearling heifers in the spring and graze them and put a bull out and sell them as breds in the fall? Has that generally been profitable and is the outlook good for those guys? What about buying 5-6 weight steers this spring and grazing them and selling them in the fall, would that work? Only concern there I have is the fences aren't that great, though so that might be a problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)