AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone entertaining the idea of selling 2013 crop yet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Run_the_wheel
Posted 10/31/2012 19:18 (#2670934)
Subject: Anyone entertaining the idea of selling 2013 crop yet?

Central Iowa
First the caveats........ I've been around long enough to understand the "battle for acres" dynamic in the spring, as well as the USDA "fudge factor" in the crop reports (since NASS bases their data on voluntary phone surveys and mailers). Also, we have to consider the 2012 South American soybean production and weather events into next year...... like a continuation of the drought. Plus, there's always the election year shenanigans/government bullpoo - i.e. what will the Farm Bill look like, the future of ethanol, opening up CRP acres, etc......

Regardless, $6.40ish for Dec 2013 corn is still profitable for many, including myself (thank God for understanding landlords who don't jack up the rent to $500!!). Thus the original question - how much (if any) 2013 corn to sell around here? Say 5-10% of expected production to make the banker happy that I've locked in some profit and to sleep at night?? Instead of HTA's do you go with puts so that you're not committing bushels? Or do you say to hell with it.... don't sell until/if we run out of corn in September? Wait to see what the insurance guarantee is at the end of February??

Just curious to know how others are thinking about marketing for 2013. thanks in advance for the responses!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)