AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update on moving heifers.... (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 7/23/2012 21:14 (#2502329)
Subject: Update on moving heifers.... (pics)

south central IOWA
It's too bad feelnrite and ole Texas papaw didn't speak up sooner than they did, dang it!! Might have saved me from darn near getting heat stroke.

From where the heifers were at this morning in the pasture, they were a 1/2 mile to the lots that are close by the road. They followed my calling as Dad and my 85 year old neighbor followed behind them on the 4-wheelers. Sorry, no hay burners around. I must have them trained well cause it went extremely easy and made my confidence high. Got them on the road fairly easy heading the right direction. The first 1/4 mile has fences on both sides so that helped. Then Dad's heifers come running down the pasture to see what all the commotion is about. That didn't help, slowed things up. So now we get them up to where we're at the folk's yard and that's when they decided we should play ring around the rosey. We go back and forth and around a few times as they're trying to get under a shade tree across the fences from the other heifers. By now, my tongue's hanging out, the heifers tongue's are hanging out and my 85 year old neighbor hasn't even broke a sweat. I joke about A/C being a generation thing but there might be some truth to it. Course maybe it doesn't help that I run around a little faster than him.

So then I decided, let's just take them up the yard and put them in one of Dad's lots, let them get a drink and cool down and let me go inside to the A/C. :-)

After lunch and after everyone had cooled down I hooked on to the trailer. Amazingly the heifers, even though by now it's a pleasant 105 degrees, didn't have their tongues hanging out after getting hauled the short distance.

So the lesson I learned today is. I have just as nice of facilities to load out as Dad does and that I don't need to road them to his place just to prove it. It did make one persons day though.......... Mom was able to give us guys a great big "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!"

Lesson Learned!!!

(rps20120723_193440_644.jpg)

(rps20120723_193423_538.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rps20120723_193440_644.jpg (78KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments rps20120723_193423_538.jpg (88KB - 74 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)