AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dug out the digger (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 5/3/2012 22:48 (#2367708)
Subject: Dug out the digger (pics)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Called the callB4Udig number first thing Monday AM and got my number. Then set about digging my Ditcher out from the recesses of my shed. The thing had sat for about four years and the gas tank was completely dry. Put a cup of gas in the tank and pulled the string once and the industrial Honda came to life. According to the one-call folks, there were supposed to be four utilities that were to contact me. One outfit called and asked if I knew where their lines were and if any were close. I told him I did and he said it wasn't necessary for him to come locate. Another utility showed up Tuesday afternoon and he said he wouldn't have come out but was going to another locate anyways or he would have just called. Their line is 1500 feet away so I didn't think there was any danger of hitting it. The other two utilities didn't call or come by so Wed. aftternoon, I started trenching the lines from the RTK base to the tower.
Here are the two trenches meeting:
trenching
After the two trenches met, I crawled over the trench and then cleaned out the loose dirt where they joined . As you can see, the ditcher is painted green and has Japanese writing on it. I bought it several years ago from a rental outfit on the west coast. I've always figured it had something to do with the financial collapse in Japan and they must have gotten a really sweet deal and shipped a bunch of stuff back over here to resell.
Ditch Witch
So I got the ditch dug, a poly pipe containing a bunch of wires laid and covered and I'm about finished with this project.
finished
This is a shot of the elbow at the corrections tower. The coax is connected to a gas-tube discharge lightning protection device. The angled poly pipe goes through the tower base slab and runs about 100 feet to my house. Network and power supply cables inside.
 tower base  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)