AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just for Mom-------RIP
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Southern Farmer
Posted 12/19/2011 16:13 (#2112404)
Subject: Just for Mom-------RIP

West Texas

For many years, Mom always made a Date loaf candy roll for me for Christmas. Guess they were my favorite candy. As she aged and cooking anything became a chore for her, my sister started making the candy for me each year until I moved out of Big Spring and then my lovely wife took up the banner and using Mom's recipe has continued to make a batch not only for Christmas but also for my birthday. Today, ...recognizing Mom's birthday I asked Kaye to let me help her make the annual treat. Hardly ever more comfortable than frying an egg, the complexities of cooking anything amazes me when you put all that stuff together and it comes out as a tasty treat. She says that most of the taste is the love that she puts into it. So, as a tribute to that old woman that we all loved and called Mom, Nanny, Grappy Nanny and Grandma, I will once again chow down on some of the tastiest candy that ever came to a soft boil on the stove.

DATE ROLL CANDY
2 c. sugar ------------------3/4 cup chopped dates
1 cup milk------------------ 3/4 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp vanilla--------------- butter (size of a walnut)
Place dates, nuts,butter and vanilla in a small bowl then
Boil sugar and water until it forms a soft ball (stirring continously)
add the other ingrediants and beat until thick. Place a damp towel on the counter and place a sheet of wax paper on it. pour the mixture on the paper and roll into a roll. let set for several hours and then slice.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)