AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

row cleaners - corn on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 12/1/2011 12:00 (#2078727)
Subject: row cleaners - corn on corn

Iowa
I currently run the old disc furrower type row cleaners on my Deutz Allis 385. I've always gotten along fine in soybean stubble as I usually do a fair amount of tillage and get things fairly black. Wondering if they'll do the trick for corn on corn? Last time I did 40 ac of COC I disced 2x with a light finishing disc and planted. This year I will do 130 ac but is has been disced heavily and had hog manure applied and then chiseled with 4 in twists on 1 ft spacing so its pretty black and the residue is really chopped up. (had chopping head) I'm wondering about the terra tine openers - where all I want to do is sweep the row clean and wont need to move any soil - would they do better than the finger type cleaners for this application (yetter, shark tooth) and will they do that much better than my discs to justify the cost. I know that I'll have to retrofit but thats not a problem. In the future I plan on doing more COC with this same type of system. (tillage, manure, tillage) I plan to hit with a finishing disc in the spring and plant - may try a field cultivator but dont really want to bring the trash back up. This is NW Iowa - heavy dirt where black = yield. And just so nobody gets ticked - I do notill beans so its not like I'm trying to destroy the planet. On my notill beans I raise the cleaners - that row unit will slice the residue and close the furrow very nicely - its one of the best row units I ve ever seen - just wish the meter were alittle more accurate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)