AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody ever forget to combine some ground?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 10/19/2011 07:42 (#2010265)
Subject: Anybody ever forget to combine some ground?

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I got a call yesterday from somebody asking if I was done combining beans. Said yes I was, he said "are you sure", then goes on to say it looks like he could see come beans poking over the top of a terrace if you looked just right driving by on the road with the semi. I said next time he drives by it to get out & check it for sure for me to see if he was right. I went & looked at my combine monitor map to see if he was right & sure enough there was a small area not painted as harvested. Great !!!

I know exactly what I did, I harvested this part of the field after dark & somehow forgot this little piece. It is hidden by some tress & a terrace so it's not easy to see from other parts of the farm or road. I had a wagon parked not to far from this area & if I had picked up the wagon myself I would have seen it as I would have drove right by it, but I had my hired man pick up the wagon & he didn't say anything about it to me. And no I am not blaming him for not telling me it is 100% my fault.

So now I get to drive 10 miles one way with the combine & head mover to do 1-2 acres of beans. I told my wife about it & she just laughed & said 'Maybe it's time to think about retiring", talk about adding salt to an open wound :-).

My dad always told about the time he farmed with the two row mounted corn pickers they thought they were done harvesting & likewise took off the picker from the tractor only to realize they had forgotten to pick a small part of a field. Rather then put the picker back on they just went & picked it by hand. Isn't there a saying you become like your parents has you get older, I guess I'm just following by dads footsteps. I'm sure he's laughing about it in heaven . At least now I have a story to tell my grandkids as they get older.

Edited by IOWAMARK 10/19/2011 07:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)