AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great Der Spiegel article on the Greek/German situation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/21/2011 04:19 (#1828185)
Subject: Great Der Spiegel article on the Greek/German situation

Wyoming

It is in English, and all of it is there:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,769329,00.html

In the article, they allude to the proposal by the CDU/FDP parties in Germany in spring 2010 that Greece simply sell German investors several of their spare islands... and the Germans would simply give the Greeks cash in return. The reasoning was that Germany should get something tangible in return for all their cash because merely backstopping a bunch of spendthrifts who are historically disposed to being layabouts and spendthrifts wasn't a great investment and German cuisine didn't need tanker loads of extra virgin olive oil anyway...

The Germans also observed that the Greeks weren't using those islands for much, and the Germans could really use a sunny place to vacation in the winter.

The Greek reaction printed in the German press at the time I could best translate as a hyper-sensitive gorilla having explosive lower bowel gastric distress. The Greeks were asking whether they were going to wake up and see Panzers in their front yards again, blah, blah, blah. Parties throughout Europe reacted by all getting very huffy and thoroughly pissy, which is an entirely European reaction and entirely amusing, if it weren't for the notion that these clowns could wreck even our banking system with their nonsense.

I was busy down at gunsmithing school when that proposal came through, hence why I didn't translate the substantially humorous German press coverage at the time. Some poll said recently that the Germans are the least funny people in the world. I don't agree with that. They're just funny about really big picture things.

Edited by WYDave 6/21/2011 04:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)