AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

May 35 planted cotton on flood ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 6/5/2011 09:02 (#1805982)
Subject: May 35 planted cotton on flood ground

East Central Arkansas

We are finally able to get back to our fields after the flood. We did get about a 100 acres of cotton planted on some of the higher ground Friday and Saturday. With the high temps we are having you would not believe how fast the ground is drying. A lot of the ground is really trying to fast and is forming a brick like crust on it. Areas of a field will still be to wet to drive on while other areas will have a hard crust on it. On some fields the low ends of fields are drying and crusting before the higher ground drys. The different types of soil in the field makes a difference. The clay cut areas in our leveled fields will pose problems as they always do. What we are doing so far is run the bedder roller and then drag off with the do-all and  then plant. This has been on ground that was bedded up before the flood and after the water had just enough bed left to see where to run and rebed. I also had on small field that had the cover crop on that we rebedded and planted.
  On our ground that had been worked up and subsoiled and not bedded yet I don't know what we will do on that ground to get it ready. Due to the fact that we furrow irrigate we will have to bed this ground. The old rows from last year are showing up pretty good but I don't know if I will be able to refollow them with the bedder plow or not. The fields were subsoiled at a angle to the row. Since these fields are going to soybeans instead of cotton I can get by with more wide and narrow lap middles than in the cotton fields but we were hoping to stay on these rows for a few years. This is looking like a year I should have saved all my early season work till planting time.
 Sorry no pictures so far it's just to much going on and so little time to get it done. The Ox is still in the ditch here but this laborer had to take a short rest this morning to regain some strength. When asked earlier about how long it would take to get back on the ground after the water I replied not long if it will fall off the fields fast. I also replied we can go from flood to drought in two weeks and I am scared that is what is going to happen. The cotton I planted is planted deeper than I would like but there is no rain in the forecast. I just hope it has enough push to get out of the ground before it breaks it's neck. I fear there will be crop planted here that want be deep enough if we don't get a rain soon.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)