AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling Scrap Iron in NE
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 3/25/2011 12:09 (#1689340)
Subject: Selling Scrap Iron in NE

Oklahoma
My in-laws have farmland in NE and they have been looking to move up there from OK for several years now. They recently purchased a place to fix up with a house and barn but apparently it is full of scrap iron and wood of all shapes and sizes. They have asked if my kids and I would go up and help clean it all up and haul it in to the scrap yard for them. I have several reservations about this, not trying to get out of helping but I thought I would ask here.

My first concern is that when I sell scrap here in OK, they photo copy my ID and ask all kinds of questions, even had to have a notorized letter of documentation to sell in one yard. It really burns my hide that I have to document every little detail of where my stuff came from but then I can watch a pothead sell brand new copper with no ID or anything but that is another rant. Anyhow, I figure it is no different in NE and being that I have ID from OK and my in-laws do at the moment, there is a red flag. If I was to do it, do I need to have one of the family members living up there (they have brothers/sisters with NE ID) go with the load or can I have the in-laws go with me on the first load to say "this came from here....there will be X more loads that he hauls in"?

Second concern is that I am doing all this with a 16 ft trailer, it isn't plated in OK, we don't have to be plated on that size. I have pulled it into NE several times but it has been a quick in and quick out type deal, only going into NE about 25 miles. The scrap yard is only about 8 miles away from where they have bought this place. I thought there was a sign when you enter NE about "any trailer" having to meet some requirement. Is there any issues I need to be aware of before I agree to haul it or if I leave my trailer there a week and let them haul all of it? If they don't sell it for scrap they still want to borrow the trailer to haul it to a dump so the issue is still there.

Thanks for input
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)