AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Checking if Delco alternator is charging?......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 11/30/2010 11:42 (#1461264)
Subject: Checking if Delco alternator is charging?......

Seems someone told me a while back this home brew method works to check if the alternator is putting out. While the vehicle is running remove the positive battery cable. If the vehicle keeps running, the alternator is OK. If the vehicle stalls, the alternator is bad.

Aside from the obvious danger of creating sparks near the battery, is this a good idea? Will disconnecting the alternator from the battery while running damage the alternator or regulator? I was always under the impression that an alternator needed to be connected to a battery to function whereas a generator did not.

This alternator is on a '78 Chevy Impala. The idiot light comes on with the key and goes out when the engine starts just like it should. The last time I drove after dark the lights got dimmer and dimmer and the car wouldn't start when I got home. I cleaned the connections and charged the battery, then drove about 30 miles in daylight hours with the heater fan going. The car seems OK now, but I'm not sure I trust it. TIA for replies.

Edited by John SD 11/30/2010 11:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)