AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Again?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 8/18/2010 09:17 (#1320615)
Subject: Again?

About 45-48 years ago....cut me some slack as I have been up all night.....the oil companies SUDDENLY discovered fertilizer enjoyed some potential demand.

The race was soon on. Little print shops all over America enjoyed a couple of years of added income printing 4-color presentations of pie charts....graphs....and slick brochures.

I'll try to remember some of the names -Sohio, Sinclair, American Cy jumped in with both feet. They grabbed college graduates to manage little fertilizer installations throughout the ag areas.

I think--around 1965 or 1966 I was able to buy anhydrous (semi loads) for 5 cents per unit of N & the rail freight on 0-0-60 was greater than the cost of the 0-0-60.

The Presentation being made to investors and boards by some very intelligent folks are possibly very colorful....their assumptions on the pro-formas MUST incorporate some pretty fancy prices for grains & oilseeds.

My pie chart of personal incomes (doesn't exist-the chart) suggests even with moderate growth in the developing nations....SOMEONE will have to come up with money to buy all this stuff, sooner or later.

I am tickled pink about all the excitement, but sold out some MOS yesterday and think I'll say bye-bye to Bunge & the rest of the MOS today or tomorrow.

As far as I am concerned....the concept is tantalizing....the long term potential is there....except it smacks of the same old story....just a different crowd.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)