AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Computer not displaying added HD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 8/3/2010 01:09 (#1298908)
Subject: My Computer not displaying added HD

Southeast Wyoming

I just picked up a "shop built" computer.  The case is a Lian Li PC-v600

Processor:  Intel(R) Core (TM)2 cpu  6400 @ 2.13 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:    3008 MB RAM

After I spoke for this computer I was told it is a 64 bit machine.  Can someone confirm that?

The computer has a 160 gig hard drive; I'm trying to clone a Seagate Barracuda SATA 1 TB HD and keep the old HD available on the shelf for the previous owner's reference - there were multiple users and they may not have backed up all of their files.

I initially had the new HD connected to the SATA #4 port on the motherboard but switched it to the SATA #3 port.  The HD shows up either way in the Device Manager and in the bios at startup.  When I rebooted with it in the SATA #3 port it said a new device was found - hard drive.  But it will not show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.  BTW, the OS is Win XP Pro.

The Seagate installation instructions indicate that older 1.5Gb/sec motherboards may require a jumper for a newer 3.0Gb HD - forcing the new drive to 1.5Gb.  The original Western Digital HD indicates the same thing and does not have the jumper so I assume my motherboard supports the 3.0Gb HD.

While on the subject, the Lian Li case has a HD rail system and apparently is shipped with an accessory package - which did not come with this computer.  I would like to find the knobs which screw into the HD to accommodate the rail system.  Does anyone know if those particular knobs would be available at most any computer shop or do I need to go through Lian Li?

Can anyone please advise on what it will take to get the OS to recognize the additional HD?  TIA

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)