AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flooded Crops In Western Oregon (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oregon Farmer
Posted 6/6/2010 23:38 (#1227303)
Subject: Flooded Crops In Western Oregon (Pics)

Independence OR
We have had ridiculous weather to say the lease this spring in the PNW. I think that we set the June all time precipitation record for our area already, and it is only the 6th of June. Unlike the east, we usually have very dry summers with very little rain fall through May, June, July and August we are not prepared for all of the rain. This spring has been really wet and cold making it a challenge to get our spring crops planted. The canneries are about to pull their hair out because the crops can't get into the ground and we have a short growing season to begin with. To make things worse we were just hit big storm that sent all of the rivers to flood stage. We are fortunate to farm on the river bottoms witch regularly flood in the winter, but never in the spring or summer. I am wondering what I can expect from crops that were actively growing that are flooded? Normally our crops are only flooded during the winter and our perennial crops such as mint or grass seed are dormant. Here are some pictures that I took of some of the flooded ground.

Picture 1: Right side, wheat Left of the road is tall fescue and peppermint
Picture 2: this is a mint field. We are actually spraying the field at the time of the picture, got to take care of what is left!!
Picture 3 Bush beans and mint
Picture 4: The willamette river from one of the pump sites
Picture 5: my son out scouting some of the fields that are not under water!!!!

(Juneflood 1.jpg)

(Juneflood2.jpg)

(juneflood3.jpg)

(Willametteriver.jpg)

(Holdenscouting.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Juneflood 1.jpg (48KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments Juneflood2.jpg (37KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments juneflood3.jpg (49KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments Willametteriver.jpg (55KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments Holdenscouting.jpg (59KB - 56 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)